I’m out and about a lot now visiting various gardens and as a result my gardening bag is overflowing. In need of a good clear out, the contents were emptied this week and it was a bit like opening up the Tardis.
There’s one important item missing though. Can you guess what it is? The answer’s at the end of the post.
- Leather gloves for those tough jobs but in need of repair. Good job I now have
- a lovely selection of Showa gloves!
- Selection of mostly empty seed packets.
- A dibber (or dibble depending where you’re from). Useful for making holes in the soil for garlic etc.
- Nether Wallop Paper Potter
- Various shape & size plastic plant markers
- Empty chocolate wrapper. Need I say more…
- Lollypop stick plant markers – can be composted when finished.
- Plastic spacers for joining poles together.
- Hand trowel.
- CD for hanging in the garden to scare away the birds.
- Scissors – always useful.
- Ph soil test kit.
- Secateurs – Felco a favourite present for passing horticulture exams and by far the best I’ve ever owned.
- Compass for working out the direction of a garden.
- My favourite hand tool & I’m hoping to replace it for a decent quality one (see 21) one day.
- Permanent markers for the plant markers – pencil washes off!
- Ph soil tester that has never ever worked. Now used to make holes or tie string to.
- Wooden stakes and string for marking straight rows.
- Penknives of various shape and size.
- Broken number 16. Favourite hand tool is also a cheap one that has to be replaced annually.
- Tie wraps that often come in handy.
- Hand fork.
- A four-inch bamboo stick that’s useful for measuring distances between seeds when sowing. Used to have various sizes but appear to have lost them all bar this one!
- An unmarked rude paperclip. Have no idea…
Have you figured out another useful item that’s missing? It was the main reason I emptied the bag as I was hoping to find some in there………it’s a ball of string!
Do you keep any other useful items in your gardening kit?
My most used item is also the number 16… 🙂 Couldn’t be without it now!
I bought two last time I saw them “just in case”!
Me too a couple of weeks ago 🙂 🙂
Perhaps we should bite the bullet and invest in a decent one lol :))
[…] Here’s a post I wrote a couple of years ago showing the contents of my tardis like bag. Tool bags make gardening life so much easier and I get a great buzz of excitement every time I rediscover mine in the springtime. […]
[…] String – take a look at this “what’s in the tool bag’ post for more ideas. […]